Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Welcome

Ok so I lost all interest in my family blogging, and my blog about weight loss, so I figured, why not a start a new blog about our finances. Chris and I got into Dave Ramsey when Ava was about 4 months old. We had a LOT of debt. We had just purchased our home--thankfully, we had some downpayment money as a gift from his parents, and money he had saved after his mission.

Mortgage $126,875

Car Loan $22,000 (Chris had a 2003 Nissan 350 Z when we started dating...we traded it in Feb 2006 for a Saturn Vue to lower our payments *heh* by $40. we were total SUCKERS!)

My student loans $3,500.

Credit Card $500.

Credit Card $800

Credit Card $200

Basement $7,000

We've come a LONG WAY. We've had 2 kids, our first (Ava) was delivered emergency c-section. That added $4,000 to our medical, and since she was born Dec 29, put her hospital bills, and mine, into 2 separate billing years. Our second, Simon, spent a week in the NICU and needed to visit a neurologist at Primary Children's hospital three times. Love those kids, but man alive--what's that song that Veggie Tales has "You can buy a zoo with all the dr. bills they paid?"


As of July 14th 2010
Car Loan $1700
Credit Card $1700
2nd Mrtg $7800
1st Mrtg $108,000

Minimum Payments=$1456.

1st debt to die this time around is going to be the CAR. July has 3 pay days for us. So this Friday, we're going to move $1200 to the car. BAM! And ...July 31st...$510 (to cover any interest) and SO-LONG CAR PAYMENT. I have set this pay off date more times than sanity can really handle. Let's just say...this time it WILL happen. It HAS to happen or I may just lose my ever-lovin mind.

I lost my wallet for 4 days somewhere in my home. (see what i mean...my mind is so fragile as it is) and I didn't even care. In fact, I was relieved, because it was 4 days that no matter HOW tempted I was to go shopping I COULDN'T! It probably saved us. Something is really wrong in my head. I sabotage myself. Everytime we have a payoff date or something really big to SAVE for, my mind goes into compulsive shopping mode. Usually, it's not even crap for me==What's that honey? You wanted $300 for a new phone. OK! "Oh look I hit a great sale at Children's Place and spent $200 for $890 worth of clothes."

I read an article the other day that struck me hard. It said, you shouldn't relate a sale to saving money. If you come home and DON'T move that "total saved" into a savings account YOU DIDN'T SAVE ANY MONEY! You only spent. So, if you come home and take your receipt to mr. computer, and it says "total saved $56.27 and move $56.27 to savings, congrats, you really did save. But if you don't, which I never have before....you're just a sucker. Welcome to my club.

No comments:

Post a Comment